The Charleston County Health Department was established in May 1920 and in 1936 merged with the Charleston City Health Department under the directorship of Dr. Leon Banov. The department ran programs for the betterment of public health in Charleston, including maternal and child health programs, health education, treatment clinics, environmental sanitation and food inspection, communicable and venereal disease control, and statistical record-keeping.
The Charleston County Health Department Photographs, circa 1930 to 1950, document the activities of the department and staff. Images include a combination of candid and staged photographs about activities such as maternal and child health programs, health education, treatment clinics, midwifery instruction, environmental sanitation and inspection of privies, farms, grocery stores and restaurants, public health initiatives targeting tuberculosis, typhus, and sexually transmitted diseases, and administrative activities for offices such as the Office of Vital Statistics. Images document the department's activities in Charleston County's rural and urban communities. Several of the images were used in A quarter of a century of public health, written by Leon Banov for the Charleston County Department of Health (Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans, and Cogswell, 1945).